Sunday, June 28, 2009

Tales of the Last 35 Years – My Lost Tooth and My Near Death Experience Part 1

I LOST MY BRAKES!!! was what was boldly written on my Facebook account one sunny Friday afternoon. It wasnt the 13th of June but my day kinda started with that hair raising feeling. My balls went up my throat when I realized Im pressing the brake pedal all the way to the floor but Im getting very minimal braking action. 


Good thing I already exited the expressway where my minimum speed was around 80kph. Good thing I was already beyond the toll booth where a mandatory stop is required. Good thing I was already beyond the busy Bicutan intersection where the traffic flow is as chaotic as it gets. When I first noticed I lost my brakes, we were about to enter the DOST gate which requires us to cross the opposite lane. Good thing the lane was free. Good thing too that the DOST guards are now very familiar with my car and I get a free pass without going through the mandatory inspection. When I made a sharp right turn, I ate much of the left lane which meant trouble had there been a vehicle, or worst people---or cats (dont want to add to roadkill stats)


What worries me most is that I was driving with my wife whom I wasnt telling what was going on. Fortunately, i still had minimal braking power which was enough to make the vehicle stop (no more pressing the gas pedal since we entered). But stupid me, I still wanted to go to work so I made another go. As I left my wife's office, I realized what Im about to do is like Russian Roulette and that I'll be praying like a mad man anytime soon. My senses came back with every failed attempt to achieve acceptable braking power. No such luck. Mechanic needed now.


The brakes were eventually “fixed” but my shattered confidence wasnt. I was able to drive all the way from Bicutan to QC on jogging speed, a hand on the hand brake, keeping distance from everyone, and blowing a horn everytime someone wants to change lane. On the way home, I kept testing my brakes before hitting the road. I went by two more mechanics but they all said my brakes were fine. Obviously, the problem now is mental. I even called my wife to tell her I wont be picking her up because should anything happen, I dont want her to be a part of it. Let me suffer alone since I was hard-headed enough to drive on “bad brakes” and a shattered confidence. 


Things are now back to normal. I have faith in my car again and I drive on speeds Im used to (this after just a day).  Looking back, you can say I was very lucky my stars aligned. Or you can make a clear case for Divine Intervention, clearing my path the way only He can do. Clearly, it wasnt my time yet. 


Or maybe, God wanted to have a “tales of the last 36 years” in 2010 (and succeeding sequels ofcourse). Im really glad Im sharing this story with you now in the flesh and not in spirit. 


End of Part 1


No comments:

Post a Comment